Watch Out for These Common Smoke Detector Problems
Because smoke detectors are so important to the safety of your Cambridge property, household, and belongings, you should be diligent about checking your smoke detectors for proper function and hiring a skilled electrician from Home-Pro Electric if your smoke detectors aren’t operating the way that they should. Whether you require a smoke detector installation or a smoke detector repair, our electrical service experts can perform the service that you require quickly and effectively.
Types of Smoke Detectors
A smoke detector is a small electrical device that emits an alarm when smoke or fire is detected. Two types of smoke detectors are available for Cambridge homeowners:
- Ionization Smoke Detectors – An ionization smoke detector electrically charges the surrounding air, and if the charge alters, the alarm sounds. Ionization smoke detectors are appropriate in areas where a fire might escalate quickly, such as a furnace room.
- Photoelectric Smoke Detectors – If the beam of light on a photoelectric smoke detector is disrupted by smoke, the alarm will sound. These smoke detectors work best in kitchens and bedrooms and during electrical fires in walls.
Some smoke detectors combine ionization and photoelectric technology. Your electrician can install a smoke detector that is powered by either an internal battery or a household current that is supported by an internal battery, and you can even incorporate your smoke detector into your security system.
Identifying Smoke Detector Problems in Your Cambridge Home
A problematic smoke detector can usually be fixed with a simple battery change, but other complications can arise, such as loose connections and blocked sensors. As the owner of a smoke detector, you’ll likely experience at least one of the following problems and need to call your local electrician:
- A chirping smoke detector
- No alarm when there is smoke
- An alarm without any smoke
- No alarm after cleaning the smoke detector
If you’re experiencing problems with the smoke detectors in your Cambridge home, give the qualified team at Home-Pro Electric a call to schedule a smoke detector repair or replacement with an experienced electrician.